Friday, December 12, 2008

On this day I begin my blog's fifth year

As has become traditional, on this blogoversary I offer some highlights from the past year's posting:

On Puccini's Manon Lescaut
On Johan Botha as Otello
On Peter Grimes as sea god (see second part of post)
On Ernani and Verdi's later tragedies
Review -- Ruth Ann Swenson in La Traviata
On Tristan & Isolde and Heppner & Voigt
On Ramon Vargas' unscheduled appearance in Ballo
On Jonathan Miller's jealous realism
Review -- Anja Harteros in La Traviata
On Gerard Mortier's abandonment of City Opera

Thanks to all those who have read, commented on, linked and recommended this site so far.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations and happy anniversary! I wish I have found your blog sooner.

    Your Vargas Ballo review was my favorite among your highlight list. How I wish I was there (too bad I did not know there was such a thing as opera blog back then). Instead I got to hear Licitra. Well, I bought the tickets for Mr. H, so I could not complain. My spouse would have agreed with you 100% on Mr. H's air-gulping.


    As always, thanks for the wonderful reviews as well as opera news. Please keep up the good work.



    BTW, thank you for the links the blogs by Victoria and Ms. Phillips. In the dark days, these two ladies keep the lights on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we started blogging at about the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Absolutely no axe-grinding, please.